Tuesday, April 1, 2008

the monkey in the cage (and not in a dirty way!)

A little known secret about me: my Popi (grandfather) used to (well, still does) call me "Monkey and a half" or "monkey face" Now, I'm not sure where the half came from, other than grandparents think their grandchildren are the best of the best, and a monkey and a half is better than a monkey....

but i digress. So, I have found myself actually being a monkey lately. First, I started eating a banana every day (my mom says they're healthy!! and they only cost 20 cents at TJS!)
Second, I found myself frequently locked up in cages against my will. Otherwise known as the library, I feel my animal instincts roar up within me when forced to stare at a book or computer screen for more than twenty minutes (sometimes less). Most recently, I have discovered the "group study room" which is an excuse to hang out with your friends while "working" (notice the strategic use of quotations).

Now, this past Sunday, while in the midst of writing a riveting twenty-five page analysis of Iranian-Egyptian relations, I found myself randomly deciding that a) I needed to eat my banana, and b) it was important to share with my busy friends that I was a monkey c) act out as a monkey (including banging on the glass and making monkey faces at my peers outside of the study room). I think this went on for quite a bit, but I have since then blocked out any other ridiculous activities that may have gone on.

And, yes, on this rainy Tuesday evening, I again find myself wishing I was anywhere but this cage (I'm somehow in another study room! you would think I would learn!) and craving a banana. I even sent this song to my housemates, and sang a loud to it in my cage, until I was sedated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmW3aBqZtKQ&feature=related

What does this mean?

I'm just happy I don't look like this http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/I/O/bush_monkey.jpg&imgrefurl=http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/images/blbushmonkey.htm&h=260&w=200&sz=10&hl=en&start=9&sig2=EGRfnEO2jGjqF0groqMxOw&um=1&tbnid=1fbxbBkoaUJV8M:&tbnh=112&tbnw=86&ei=Iv7yR6mGO6HAet2lyYkB&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbush%2Bmonkey%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

1 comment:

ReadDanceBliss said...

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU LINKED TO THAT SONG!!

That is the Samantha-est song I know. I hate to tell you this, but a) I think of you every time I hear it and b) if you said to me, "what song out of all the songs in the world is the one you associate most closely with me?", I would have said this one.

Why? Because I learned it from you when you were, like, four!