Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Omniovore's Dilemma

Sorry for the inconsistent posts! Keeping this thing current is harder than I thought it would be!

I'm currently reading/listening to the Omnivore's Dilemma on my ipod. First, I highly recommend the book. It will definitely change your perspective on eating, health, government policy, economics, and most especially CORN! I'm in the corn section right now, and it's disgusting to learn how it's in EVERYTHING we eat. yuckkkkkk.

Listening to books on ipod is really interesting because you can bring your book with you wherever you go- and people don't even know when you're reading-- so if you make this concentrated face, people just think you're weird (or at least I was getting some weird looks as I walked to Davis, looking heavily concentrated on understanding the economic implications of the great depression on corn production).

I think this is the most amusing part. It was also super entertaining to explain to my housemate Anna that I was reading while I ate my cereal for breakfast, when it appeared to her that I was just listening to my ipod. Now, the question is, does it count as reading if you're listening? Because we don't say that we're reading when we listen to a song, which is really just a poem (lyrics) to music. If the book was read to music would that make it listening to a song instead of reading a book on my ipod... whoah, technology is crazy.

I also had the weird opportunity of listening to the section about the supermarket WHILE I WAS IN THE SUPERMARKET. I can't explain the sensation of hearing, "now look around the supermarket. You enter under the bright lights and any kind of fruit and vegetable you want, even those that are tropical and out of season." It was creepy, but definitely the most interesting shopping experience I have ever had.

No comments: